How to Fix Youtube Slow Buffering

I noticed a while back that YouTube went from fine to slower than dialup loading at any resolution overnight. I have a fast DSL connection through AT&T, so this was ridiculous.

The Google tech support were shockingly useless, but after a lot of searching and failed tweaks, I finally found one that worked, rather miraculously for how simple it is. My video speed is back up to easily playing in HD.

No guarantee this works for everyone, but for me it seems the problem was that some of the servers between me and YouTube were deciding that YouTube was extremely low priority traffic. I admit, I see conspiracy around every corner, but this looks like some kind of bandwidth throttling agenda at this point. So here’s the plan: We tell the computer to go around those servers and find another route. Even if it wouldn’t seem like the quickest path, a slightly slower connection at high priority will make a huge difference.

So here’s what to do in Windows:

Hit the Start menu and go to Control Panel and open Windows Firewall (it may be in the security section depending on your Control Panel layout).

Click Advanced Settings and then Inbound Rules.

Click New Rule, then the radio button for Custom and click Next.

All Programs. Next

Any Protocol. Next

Any Ip in Local, under Remote IP addresses, click These IP Addresses.

In the popup, select This IP Address Range.

Under From, enter 206.111.0.0

Under To, enter 206.111.255.255

Click Ok, then click Add again, These IP Addresses, Ip Address Range.

Under From: 173.194.55.0

Under To: 173.194.55.255

Click Ok, Then Next.

Select Block the Connection.

Next, Leave all boxes checked and Next.

Come up with a name that will remind you that you added this to speed up YouTube, and click Finish.

This oughtta do it. Slow Youtube fixed. This change shouldn’t break anything, but if you notice some other site doesn’t work right all of a sudden, you can just go back to your firewall advanced tab, click the rule, and click Disable Rule. If you are decent with computers, you can probably figure out how to make this fix work  on other Operating Systems, or even on your router, which would fix it for the whole house.

YouTube Affilliate Program

YouTube has had a revenue sharing program for a while now, but they have only extended it to their top content providers. Now they have expanded the program to cover any viral video.

If your video gets enough attention, they will now send you an e-mail allowing you to ‘enable revenue sharing’. If you agree to do so, YouTube (now owned by Google) will put ads in the bottom of the video (you may have seen these already) and will share with you the profits, crediting it to your AdSense account.

If you’ve got that old video lying around that you know will be a hit and have just been too lazy to upload, just remember, these things can stay popular for years. don’t miss out.

For more info, check out this page.

Photoshop Stuck on Hand Tool | Bug Fix

I’ve noticed that every once in a while while I’m using Adobe Photoshop CS3, nearly all of the tools will stop functioning, and will instead be stuck on the white hand tool. Closing and reopening the file generally has no effect on this hand tool bug, and neither does restarting the software. Sometimes, going into Edit/Preferences/General, and clicking on Reset All Warning Dialogs will help, but just as often it will not. Rebooting the computer nearly always works, but that’s not a good option when you have a stack of files open. How to fix the bug?

I’ve found one fix that hasn’t failed me yet, and it’s so simple I can’t believe it took so long for me to figure it out: hit the space bar.

Chrome Resolving Host Problem

If you find yourself waiting most of the time when loading a page on the Internet, ‘Resolving host’ on your status bar, you aren’t alone. It appears that Google Chrome, perhaps in concert with IE, or Windows Vista, is having problems with some of the network settings. I’ve been reading various forums with suggestions on how to fix the Chrome slow ‘resolving host’ problem, and it seems there are a lot of different ways people have found to get around it. I’m starting to think it is just a matter of getting Chrome to reset its network settings.

For me, the fix was easy, so try this first: Go to the wrench icon in the upper right of Chrome, click options, click the ‘under the hood’ tab, and uncheck ‘use DNS pre-fetching to improve page load performance’. Close the options window and try loading some pages. It worked for me right away.

Update: I just upgraded to Vista x64 SP1, and the issue returned. Checking DNS pre-fetching, closing the options, going back to options, and unchecking it again did the trick to fix it.

If you try this and it doesn’t work, please post a comment and we will try to find another fix.